Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My father is in sound mind. He is 92 years old and had a TIA stroke. My sister wants him to sign a power of attorney giving her total control over his affairs. I sugested dual control making it take both of our signitures to make decisions. Can this be done.


Ken Plumb

Asked on 8/16/09, 8:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Larry L. Doan Law Office of Larry L. Doan

Yes, absolutely this can be done in California. Any authority granted in the power of attorney to you two is exercisable only by unanimous action, however.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/09, 11:25 pm
Scott Linden Scott H. Linden, Esq.

Yes. It is even recommended if you believe there is going to be differences of opinion. However, you may want some form of "tie-breaker" so the two of you do not wind up in a stand-off where nothing can be done.

Read more
Answered on 8/17/09, 11:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California