Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

my friends father died, he had a trust in which she was a 1/3 beneficiary. the other two beneficiaries have been dragging their feet and telling her she was not getting anything. Is there a form she can file making them produce an inventory of the trust at her fathers death, and an accounting. or will she have to hire an attorney.

Asked on 8/01/13, 2:14 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jennifer Rouse Meissner Joseph & Palley

Your friend can formally demand an accounting from the trustees of the trust. If they do not provide one within 60 days of the request, then she will have to file a petition to compel an accounting with the court. She should hire an attorney to assist her with the filing.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/13, 2:31 pm

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I agree with Ms. Rouse. The best thing she can do now is request an accounting, in writing.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/13, 3:00 pm
William Christian Rodi Pollock

My first question would be to determine who the trustee is. Does the trustee have counsel? The demand for a complete copy of the trust and an accounting should be sent promptly. I suspect she may be best served by engaging counsel to make things happen, but the initial request for information can be made by her and in written form. There is no special form to make the request. A simple demand letter would be fine.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/13, 3:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California