Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

my husbands grandmother is dyeing and she has given her son a hand written will however we know he has been forging checks and we feel but cannot prove that he is co-mingling her funds with his.

Granny is worth roughly 2.5 million dollars and we are concerned that her son will try to cheat us and my mother in law out of not only the money but also will try to sell the property out from underneath my mother in law. What can we do to protect our interest?

Asked on 2/03/10, 4:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Bakondi The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi

You need to get a copy of the will. If son will not give it to you, tell Granny this, and ask her to write another will that you also have a copy of. The future will will over-ride the preceding one. I can give you some suggestions for how to not make any huge blunders, even if she will not use a lawyer. Or, you can suggest she does use a lawyer, and I would be happy to record her will. If you dont so this, and if she dies and son destroys the current will, there may be no evidence of her will, and son may get away with violating her intent. Contact my office for a free consult.


Daniel Bakondi, Esq. [email protected] 415-450-0424

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication may contain confidential information, privileged information, or attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient or received this message in error, any use or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited and unlawful. Please notify the sender immediately, and delete this message. No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. Nothing communicated or provided constitutes legal advice nor a legal opinion unless it so specifies and written agreement for attorney services has been entered into. Your issue may be time sensitive and may result in loss of rights if you do not act in time. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/10, 5:13 pm

James Bame San Diego Law Office

If you are a beneficiary of the will, then you are entitled to a copy of the will. The will should be reviewed to determine whether or not it qualifies as a holographic will. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 2/10/10, 11:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California