Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

Our mom recently died. how do we gain access to her apertment? We believe her assets are under $50000. Do we need a form? We two sisters are the only children.

Asked on 12/31/10, 8:52 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Shahram Miri Law Offices of Shahram Miri (408) 866-8382

You should contact the property manager with a death certificate in hand and explain the situation.

As for her estate, if in fact the valuation of her estate is under $50,000, you can utilize a form called a small estate affidavit to collect her assets. If real estate is involved, the process gets a little more complicated but formal probate is still not necessary.

Read more
Answered on 1/05/11, 2:24 pm
Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

I second what Mr. Miri says. However, you didn't say whether she was married, cohabitated with another person, etc. His answer, I'm sure, assumes she lived alone.

Read more
Answered on 1/05/11, 2:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California