Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My neightbir died about a year ago, before his death he had given me power of attorney tho I neerused it, he has one cousin who seems to want nothing to do with any of this and now after months of cleaning out his house and cleaning up his dead bodies mess because he was inther for 5 months before found, because he had told me he was going out of town for a few months. I have fond a printed or will that has 2 other peoples signature and his on it npbut it isn't noterized. What do I do first? How to I get access to his accounts so the I can start paying off his bills and dividing what is left?

Asked on 4/26/22, 6:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michele Cusack Pollak & Cusack

Wills do not have to be notarized. If you are named as Executor, you should hire a lawyer to help you probate the estate.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/22, 6:39 pm
Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You actually don't even need to be named the executor, although if someone else is you should notify them and see if they want to take the job. The executor named in a will is advisory only. The probate court will give it great weight if there are more than one person who apply to be executor, but it it is not binding on the court. Anyone can apply to be executor of a deceased person's estate.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/22, 8:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California