Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

my sister and i took care of my mom at her home. my mother passed and her will suddenly become missing, my sister got it and wont cop to it and has taken everything she wanted and left me the garbage she didnt want. how do i get a copy or ?

Asked on 6/08/13, 10:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Reid Happe Reid, PC

Ordinarily when an individual passes away with a will, the estate is probated in the county where the decedent passed away. Part of the probate process is to lodge the will with the court. In order to distribute assets, probate should be initiated in that county of last residence. If probate was never opened, you may want to petition the court to open probate.

If you know the name of your mother's attorney, you may want to try to contact him or her and notify them with a death certificate that she has passed. If the attorney has a copy of the will, you may be able to obtain it that way.

Read more
Answered on 6/08/13, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California