Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

wifes grandma died few years back but nobody in her fam notified her. She heard about it a year ago from an unrelated friend. today she had lunch w her sister and found out she was left $20,000 but a clause or other stated that if they couldnt find her within 3 years of gmas death they could divide and keep as they wished.her step father seized it all and lost it gambling. the whole time communication was posible but a petty fued kept ma and daughter{my wife}at odds.she had spoken a few times during the three year with sister but she also was not forthcomming. trust me it is more scandalous then i made it sound. any case to recover dough? california

Asked on 7/11/13, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jennifer Rouse Meissner Joseph & Palley

Was the distribution from a trust or from a probate? Who was acting as executor or trustee? Were they represented by an attorney?

Depending on the terms of the document which provided for the distribution, your wife may be able to file something with the court against the fiduciary.

Your wife should contact an attorney to discuss her options.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 3:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California