Legal Question in Criminal Law in Colorado

Sealing A Criminal Record

8 years ago a plea of guilty to a misdemeanor & a deferred judgement to a felony. The judge dismissed the DJ/felony. But was denied to seal the criminal record in order to relocate and move into an apartment and obtain a job. Can this record be sealed & what other route can this record be sealed?

Asked on 10/06/00, 5:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC

Re: Sealing A Criminal Record

One has no right to have a felony record sealed, whether a deferred judgment or otherwise. Such convictions are public record, even after dismissal.

Sealing it could have greater negative consequences to you as not knowing, to others, is usually worse than knowing.

Be up front about it, that will often work.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/00, 3:24 pm

Stanley Spring Stanley A. Spring, Attorney at Law

Re: Sealing A Criminal Record

Contrary to the previous answer, Colorado has a statute for sealing records. However, it varies quite a bit as it regularly gets changed. Consult an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/00, 6:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Colorado