Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Colorado

Over 10 years ago I took out a pay day loan with every intention to pay it back. I forgot about this loan and closed my bank account and moved out of state. Today my wife got a call from a law firm regarding some court date I have never heard about. I called the number and they said I'm being charged with malicious something and check fraud. What should I do?

Asked on 10/25/16, 2:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

If it is a real law firm, file a complaint with the state bar association where it is located. It probably isn't and they probably won't tell you where they are located. In that case, hang up and move on. Police file criminal charges, not debt collectors. If you were really being charged with a crime, it would be out of their hands so there is no reason to talk to them.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/16, 7:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Colorado