Legal Question in Criminal Law in Colorado

My boyfriend an I got into it, I started to hit him with my phone. He pushed me down to stop me from hitting him, neighbors called the police. He went to jail. Demotic violence charge 3rd degree. I don't want to go to court and I have been subpoenaed to court. Do I have to go if I don't want to?

Asked on 9/04/14, 5:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jason Savela The Savela Law Firm, PC

If you have been subpoenaed, then you could get a warrant for not showing up. If your BF has an attorney, contact him/her and explain what happened. You have a right to remain silent bc you technically could be charged with a crime. more information at my website

Read more
Answered on 9/04/14, 6:44 pm

You may NOT have been subpoenaed. If the subpoena was mailed to you, that alone does not act as a subpoena. You must be either: personally served; voluntarily waive service. I wish that government-sponsored "DV assistance" services would actually help people like you.I will.

Read more
Answered on 9/08/14, 7:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Colorado