Legal Question in Education Law in Colorado


My name is Kait, and coming up is my senior year of high school. I've been training for upcoming volleyball try outs for the past summer until it was recently brought to my attention that I might not be eligible to play any sport this year because of a rule in my school district. "Students who are on their fifth consecutive year of high school are ineligible for all sports." However they do take "special cases". For example, time off school for family, medical, ect reasons.

I studied abroad my junior year in Germany with rotary youth exchange, and due to the rigorous curriculum of German high schools, and my lack of adequate language (in the beginning), I made the decision to repeat a year of school to better prepare myself for college.

It was decided that since I made the decision to go to Germany and repeat a year (and that nothing "out of my control" had prevented me from completing my high school in 4 years) that I could not play any sport my senior year.

Keep in mind:

*I've only played high school volleyball for two full years. This upcoming year would be my third.

*I have a 3.75 UW GPA in mostly advanced courses.

*I entered the program and went to Germany thinking that I would get my year abroad to count as my Junior year. I changed my mind later on.

*I am 18 years old. And I will be 18 years old when I graduate high school next year.

This rule was created to prevent drop outs from playing sports and being older than 18 and also as a restriction to those athletes that are held back a year.

I want to appeal this decision and hire a lawyer to make a case in front of the school board. Do you think that I would have a case against something like this?

Asked on 7/27/13, 12:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Damon Cassens Waters, Kubik, and Cassens

You don't have anything to lose by asking, and sound like you have a decent shot of success.

You need to look at the CSHAA rules as well.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/13, 5:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in Colorado