Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

2 years ago my divorce decree I have requested a name change to my maiden name. It was listed aa my change name request in the final divorce papers. However requested I have not taken the time to make the change. Can the ex initiate legal action to demand the change????

Asked on 8/14/11, 10:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary C. Johnson Attorney Gary C. Johnson

Just asking for a name change does not always result in a Court order. Check your final decree to see if your request was granted. The ex can initiate legal action to enforce the decree, including the name change if so ordered. The Court granting the dissolution maintains jurisdiction in these matters.

DISCLAIMER This answer is for informational purposes only and discusses general legal principles, trends, and considerations and is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. 720-323-3776

Read more
Answered on 8/16/11, 1:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado