Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

name change

In June 2000 I was mrried to Brian--name removed--in Lamar Colorado. We were seperated in Sept. od that year. He was supposed to file for the divorce and did ,I now live in Oklahoma and have for 2 years. I have tried numerous attempts to find him and recently was told he dropped the divorce in Oct. of 2001. I cannot afford to start this process over again right now because he would have to be located. I have a different name than all my children and just wish to change my name but I am not legally divorced from Brian although I have not seen him in 2and a half years can I change my name?

Asked on 1/26/03, 2:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Hunt John

Re: name change

As long as you are not changing your name for a fraudulent reason you should be able to do so. I would just point out that a default divorce would probably not cost you any more money and you would or could get your name changed back in the divorce decree.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/03, 11:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado