Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

Child Support

Is there a law that would relieve me of my child support obligation?

Asked on 5/01/02, 9:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Carolyn Press Chung & Press. P.C.

Re: Child Support

Your can be legally relieved of your child support obligation in several ways: the adoption of the child by another party and the termination of your parental rights and responsibilities, the child becoming an emancipated adult (this will not relieve you of any obligation for arrears in child support), your long-term incarceration if you have no income from work in the prison or from any other source, your disability if you are not eligible for Social Security or other disability income benefits (and have no source of income other than public assistance), of the death of you or the child. On the whole you are probably better off paying child support than trying to meet any of the alternative conditions.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/02, 8:53 am
G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Re: Child Support

If your child support order was granted in Colorado, then the law of that state applies. Contact an attorney in that state.

If your are ordered to pay in Maryland, there is no way to get out of paying support unless you file for a modification. You must show a material change in circumstance to even be heard on the matter. Then you must show why you should be granted relief. An attorney's assistance is advised, I am available if you would like to discuss.

Non-payment of child support is a serious matter. Even if the order is from another state, uniform law between the states can result in the suspension of your driver's license. Other penalties may apply.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/02, 7:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado