Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

Colorado child abandonment laws

My husband and I currently have physical custody of my husbands son. His mother hasn't contacted us for about 30 days and has never paid anything in child support.At what point would it be possible to have rights taken from her due to abandonment?

Asked on 11/10/04, 1:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

The Harris Law Firm, P.C The Harris Law Firm, P.C.

Re: Colorado child abandonment laws

One year of either no contact or no child support is sufficient to ask the court to find she has abandoned him. It is also possible for her to relinquish her parental rights voluntarily, if you are willing to adopt. The advantage to her is that she would no longer be liable for child support and your husband has the option of agreeing to relinquish his claim on any child support arrearage.

Our firm of eight attorneys specializes in family matters such as this. Personally, I have handled many of these cases. We offer a 45-munite consultation for $150, during which we can examine the facts of your case in more detail. If this would be useful to you, please contact Katie at [email protected] or (303) 299-9484. I hope we can be of service to you.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/04, 10:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado