Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

I am currently living and have always lived in Colorado, and I am being forced to move to Texas. So, do I have to be emancipated under Texas law, or can I be emancipated under Colorado law? I am 14 and will be 15 (which is the legal emancipation age of Colorado) in September, which by that time I will be in Texas. If there is any other information you need just ask. Please assist me, I cannot emotionally or physically handle living Texas.

Asked on 8/03/16, 1:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

Emancipation requires showing that you are fully supporting yourself. Do you even have a job? Unless you are a child actor or otherwise have access to a significant amount of money, it is unlikely that you qualify for emancipation in either state. The only realistic way to avoid living in Texas is to talk to a parent who does not live in Texas and ask them to seek court orders allowing you to live with them.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/16, 3:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado