Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

I signed declaration of common law marriage at motor vehicle which was never filed at court house. We separated but never divorced. I went to marry again and was allowed to remarry because that marriage was never pulled up because it wasnt filed in court house. we moved to California. I moved back and filed for anullment in Colorado which he was also signed as a joint party too. He filed for divorce in California. My common law husband died while I was living in California. California is not a common law state. So I would not be common law married to husband number 2. I would have to remarry him in California. Is there any reason the annulment would not go thru?

Asked on 8/03/16, 6:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

It sounds like you have sufficient evidence that the marriage was invalid due to your actions, but even in that case your putative husband can obtain all of the same relief that he could receive in a divorce.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/16, 7:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado