Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

Hello. My name is Tracey Glock. I am the mother to a 3 year old daughter looking for help, advice and information on getting full custody or possibly having my child's father relinquish his rights. He has not been present for the past 3 years by his choice and has not paid his child support of $180 a month for over a year that it has been in place. I have not taken anything to court in fear that it would lead to him gaining visitation, in which I feel he could be a harm to her due to past domestic violence charges, dui and drug charges. He has been an addict for years. What is a possibility that a judge would involuntarily relinquish his rights due to lack of supporting and being present to her?

Asked on 12/28/16, 10:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

Most judges are reluctant to relieve a parent from responsibility for a child if there is no one to step up and take it. You have a good chance for a step parent adoption if you have a spouse who wants to adopt, but relinquishment without an adoption is much more difficult (and can be impossible with most judges).

Read more
Answered on 12/29/16, 7:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado