Legal Question in Immigration Law in Colorado

I have been married to a us citizen since may 2016 and she has been very violent, controlling and abusive. When i couldn't bear it anymore i left the house for her to live with a friend. During that period i applied for affirmative asylum in September 2016 and the receipt has been sent to me. I am now awaiting the finger printing appointment. Lately she called me for a reconciliation and said we could go ahead with the adjustment of status but i dont trust her since we've tried to do that in the past and she declined her sponsorship. I have evidences of the abuse, good faith marriage etc but Im a man. Ive found it difficult to make attorneys see my case but they feel i cant proceed with vawa because I'm a man. Now, my question is can i still apply for vawa while my asylum case is pending? (Im not yet called for fingerprinting or interview but have the i589 receipt) . If so, how do I proceed? Thanks.

Asked on 12/26/16, 6:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Medina Law Office of Charles Medina

You can apply for VAWA even you are a male, if you meet the requirements. VAWA is for battered spouse, so it doesn't matter you are a female or male. Some of our male clients successfully got VAWA approved. We suggest you to consult with an immigration attorney to discuss your options.

You may visit our website at for our featured cases that cover the most complicated areas of immigration law. Our telephone number is 714-786-6835 and email is [email protected] Thank you.

The above reply is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/16, 10:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Colorado