Legal Question in Personal Injury in Colorado

My friend wrecked her car on the way home near midnight last night, and she had been drinking some, but not much. She says she just lost control of it on an icy section and hit a tree. Because she had been drinking, however, she was afraid to report it immediately. Since she was unhurt, she walked to a nearby friend's house and got a ride home, and tried to sleep it off. She told me what happened this morning, and now she is desperately worried about what to do. We live in Colorado, and from what I've read, the penalties can be pretty harsh for leaving the scene of an accident. However, in this case, no one was hurt, and there was very little damage done to anything other than her car.

Another of her friends suggested to her that she claim the car was stolen, provide an alibi, etc., but I'm sure this is a bad idea. Can you back me up on that?

What I'd really like to know is how much trouble she stands to be in even if she were to call the accident in immediately. Chances are, it has been noticed by now and the authorities are well on their way to tracing it to her. Will she be able to avoid a DUI charge? And what will she face for the failure to report?

Asked on 12/02/11, 8:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jason Savela The Savela Law Firm, PC

many police stations have accident report forms on-line that can be filled out and then given to the police - I would get one and file it with the local police ASAP - I would not mention drinking alcohol (remember, you do not have to incriminate yourself)

fill it out and turn it in - refuse to answer any other questions from the police

you may need an attorney as hit n run penalties can include 1 year loss of license

Read more
Answered on 12/02/11, 10:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Colorado