Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

My brother, the trustee to our father's estate, has not provided an accounting of the trust to the beneficiaries. The trust is now being closed and he has sent a copy of the Attorney's statement of distribution of funds. My bother said he only needed to provide accounting of the trust to the Attorney. Can he leave the beneficiaries out of the knowledge of the trust?

Asked on 8/31/11, 5:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bernard Greenberg KOKISH & GOLDMANIS, P.C.

The answer is no. Your brother cannot deny information or the accountings to the trust beneficiaries.

Under Colorado law, the trustee must provide annual accountings to the beneficiaries.

A Personal Representative of an probate estate is also required to provide information about the administration of the estate to ALL interested persons in the estate.

You should consider filing with the Court a Demand for Notice and also consult with a lawyer who specializes in estate and trust matters.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/11, 3:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado