Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

Death without a will

How can I cash checks made out to ''the estate of my deceased wife'' She didn't have a will or anyone assigned other than me?

Asked on 9/04/08, 5:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Greg Schlender Schlender Law Firm, P.C.

Re: Death without a will

You will need to open Probate and get yourself appointed by the Court as her Personal Representative. You will also need a Tax ID # for her Estate. With those documents, you'll be able to open a bank account for her Estate, and you can deposit these checks into that account. Once the money is in the account, you can use it to pay her bills or to make distributions to you, since you are one of her "heirs."

Read more
Answered on 9/04/08, 5:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado