Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

Give Assets to Son on SSDI

I have an adult son with a physical disability on SSDI - who is allowed to have very limited assets. I would like to give him about $30,000 no, before I die. Is there a legal way for me to do this?

Asked on 7/26/08, 12:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Campbell Law Offices of John J. Campbell, P.C.

Re: Give Assets to Son on SSDI

If your son is on SSDI, there are no limits on assets. However, if your son is on SSI, he may have no more than $2,000 in countable resources. You should verify which program applies before proceeding. If he is on SSI, there may still be a way to provide for him through a special type of trust. For this, you should see an Elder Law attorney who is familiar with SSI and its special rules regarding trusts.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/08, 1:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado