Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

My husband passed away last April from Cancer. I have been trying to stay on top of paying medical bills. My husband left me his life insurance to pay off the house, which I did. My question is do I have to go into my money to pay bills for credit cards? Thank you, JMS

Asked on 1/25/17, 4:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Murillo Pivotal Legal Ltd.

I am sorry for your loss. You need to open probate to take care of these bills. The estate may or may not have to pay them. You also could be responsible. It depends on more facts than you provide. You also need to file probate to get the assets including the house unless the house was in joint tenancy with right of survivorship. Please, hire a probate attorney so this is done correctly. Most probate attorneys, like our office, provide free consultations.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/17, 5:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado