Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

According to the terms of my mother's will, I am the Personal Representative and an heir. Can I file a Quit Claim (a Personal Representative's Deed of Distribution) to put my own name on the title to my mother's home/real property?

Asked on 10/01/11, 10:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bernard Greenberg KOKISH & GOLDMANIS, P.C.

No. You must follow the terms of the Will and also administer her estate pursuant to the Colorado Probate Code. Until you are appointed by the District Court as the PR, you have no power to sign the PR's Deed.

Your first step should be to file the Will with the Court and then request the probate packet when you are there. You might also want to consult with a probate attorney for assistance.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/11, 11:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado