Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Connecticut

Mortgage - unmarried couple

My boyfriend and I have spoken about marriage in the future, but have not gotten engaged. We are looking into purchasing a home, but he says due to my recent student loans and what not he does not want to get a mortgage in both our names. I am planning on paying 1/2 the bills and 1/2 the mortgage, but he is paying most of the down-payment. My concern is, if we do not get married and end up breaking-up is there a way to protect my investment? I'm afraid of purchasing a home for this reason. He says my credit isn't good enough yet and I owe too much to student loans. I'm not sure what to think or do at this point. Please help.

Asked on 4/13/08, 12:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sarah Summons Law Offices of Sarah F. Summons

Re: Mortgage - unmarried couple

Your name on the mortgage means that you are responsible for the debt. Your name on the deed means that you are part owner and nothing can be done without your signature. If he wants to be responsible for the mortgage - great. In no way should you purchase property without your name going on the deed. Tenants in common on the deed means that you can name the beneficiary in the event of your death. Joint tenants means that either you or your boyfriend will inherit in the event of one of your death. DO NOT PURCHASE IT WITHOUT YOUR NAME ON THE DEED.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/08, 2:29 pm

John Serrano Serrano & Serrano, LLC - Connecticut Accident, Social Security & Divorce Lawyers

Re: Mortgage - unmarried couple

Your boyfriend can purchase the home in his name with the mortgage also in his name. He then, if he is willing, can make you a part owner of the home (1/2, 1/3, 1/4 or whatever portion you two think is fair) through a quit claim deed.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/08, 4:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Connecticut