Legal Question in Admiralty Law in Connecticut

How long does one have to sue a company for a work related injury before it becomes too late?

Asked on 11/22/09, 6:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Max Rosenberg Rosenberg, Miller, Hite & Morilla, LLC

You can only sue your employer in very limited circumstances. For the most part you must bring a claim in workers compensation commission by a written notice. Filing this “written notice of claim” puts your claim on record. A Form 30C is best for this purpose and is available from any Workers’ Compensation Commission.

The statute of limitations for filing a compensation claim for an accidental injury is one year from the date of the injury, while for an occupational disease it is three years from the first manifestation of a symptom.

The law of Connecticut for workplace injuries is found in Chapter 568 General Statute, beginning with §31-275 Gen Stat., et seq. and other sections of the General Statutes noted in Bulletin No. 47 SIC Workers' Compensation as amended to January 1, 2007 and supplement to Bulletin No. 47 annotated to Compensation Review Board Opinions. The act was first adopted in 1913 and amended as noted in Note in Bulletin 47.

Written Notice of the Claims under § 31-294c(a) of Connecticut General Statutes, both to the workers' compensation and employer must be given within one year of the date of injury or within three years from the date of manifestation of symptoms of the occupational disease. If the worker has died, written notice must be given within two years from the date of the accident or first manifestation of symptoms of the occupational disease or within one year from the date of death, whichever is later.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/09, 10:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Admiralty Law questions and answers in Connecticut