Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Connecticut

Denial of Credit

Last month I applied for a new account at a Gap store in CT. I had my driver license and VISA card as ID. The store manager approved my app; the credit manager denied it.

Because my social security number was in a file on a computer which was stolen last year from a business office, there is a watch on my account with the credit agencies. (Equifax is the one used by Gap.)

I have excellent credit; I have never failed to pay my bills on time. I showed proper ID with my application. I believe that the credit manager was unjustified in denying me an account. The notice I received in the mail says ''Unable to verify identity of applicant''

What recourse do I have?

Asked on 6/01/04, 7:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Liskey Tyler & Wilson

Re: Denial of Credit

The fraud protection on file with the credit reporting agency requires that when credit is applied for under your social security number, the credit reporting agency contacts you to verify it is in fact you applying for credit. If they are unable to verify this information with you, you are typically declined credit. Make sure that the credit reporting agencies (there are 3)have a current address/phone number for you to avoid problems in the future. This whole process is designed to protect you. It would seem the credit manager acted appropriately.

Read more
Answered on 6/01/04, 7:21 pm

Stephen Silverberg Silverberg Law Office

Re: Denial of Credit

No merchant, no bank for that matter, is REQUIRED to extend credit privileges to you, or to lend you money. You do not have a constitutional right to go into debt.

How would you feel if that store manager had approved an account for someone else, using your name and ID? Not too happy, Ill bet.

This is one of the myriad problems created by identity theft. If this is the only way it affects you, then you are lucky.

If your only problem in this respect is that your SSAN MAY have been stolen, but has not yet been used, you might check with the Social Security administration to see if there is any legal way to have a new SSAN issued to you.

Read more
Answered on 6/01/04, 9:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Connecticut