Legal Question in DUI Law in Connecticut

DWI & car accident

If someone is driving drunk or under the influence and is involved in a car accident, injuring or killing another person, can the DWI offender be sued and his house be taken away, etc.? I'm interested in learning the reprecusions his family could endure.

Asked on 11/03/06, 9:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: DWI & car accident

If the offender can be sued in a civil action. If the verdict is in excess of any insurance policies, the claimant may proceed to collect the verdict (judgment) against any assets of the offender. Be aware that the offender can file bankruptcy and avoid the civil judgment. There are some other rules with respect to assets that are jointly owned, and you should check with your attorney about that.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/06, 9:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Connecticut