Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

I have a post-divorce Stipulation in Connecticut for the CT Educational Support Order, which states that my ex husband and I must each contribute $2,500.00 per calendar year towards the education expenses of our son. Son is now commuting to college full-time and living at home with me full time, spending no time with his father. I pay for all housing, food, his cell phone, some clothing and I pay his car insurance for his car he commutes to college with. May I count his "room and board towards the $2,500.00? May I count the other expenses such as the car insurance? *Our order does not state how or to whom this $2,500.00 is to be paid and does not define what is acceptable as far as what costs the $2,500.00 is to cover. (Last year his father handed him the cash and he used some of it towards fraternity dues (!).) With no direction from the order stating what the $2,500.00 should cover and/or how it is to be paid, would the court likely agree that I have paid at least my $2,500,00 by covering his room and board and car insurance for transportation?

Asked on 12/06/17, 11:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Linda Subbloie Linda A. Subbloie, Esq.

Here is the wording straight from the statute: 46b- 56c: (f) The educational support order may include support for any necessary educational expense, including room, board, dues, tuition, fees, registration and application costs, but such expenses shall not be more than the amount charged by The University of Connecticut for a full-time in-state student at the time the child for whom educational support is being ordered matriculates, except this limit may be exceeded by agreement of the parents. An educational support order may also include the cost of books and medical insurance for such child.

You can file a motion with the court to request that the court allow you to be credited for these expenses as stated in the statute AND request that the father not give the money to your son but to the school or you!

Read more
Answered on 12/07/17, 9:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut