Legal Question in Immigration Law in Connecticut


I have been married for 6 years in an abusive mariage with two kids who were born in the United States. I have been gainfully employed for 10 years in CT. I have a permanent resident but would like to apply for citizenship without him. I want to divorce but he is making it difficult and I want to be a citizen. We are both of hispanic decent (mexico). What are my rights and can i become a citizen without him!

Asked on 4/09/08, 11:12 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Tsirina Goroshit Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit & Associates, P.C.

Re: citizenship

Yes, You can become a citizen without your spouse.Visit us at FAQ regarding naturalization.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/08, 1:01 pm

John Serrano Serrano & Serrano, LLC - Connecticut Accident, Social Security & Divorce Lawyers

Re: citizenship

You can apply for citizenship whether you are married, divorced or separated. You do not need your husband's cooperation, permission or assistance to apply to be a citizenship. If you are planning to continue living in the U.S., I highly reccommend you become a citizen. Also, there is no reason for you to stay in an abusive relationship. Your husband will have to pay you child support if your children live with you. He may also have to pay you some alimony and divide property with you. I handle both immigration and divorce cases and I speak Spanish. See my website for further information. Feel free to call me to discuss your situation further if you like.

Read more
Answered on 4/09/08, 5:36 pm
Amy Ghosh Law Offices of Amy Ghosh

Re: citizenship


Read more
Answered on 4/09/08, 6:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Connecticut