Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in Connecticut

attorney missing a formal hearing

i hired an attorney to work on a workerscomp case for my company. They are claiming a 31-290a- wrongful discharge/discrimination. It has been going on for almost 3 years, when I had problems with the employer and then found him doing drugs. But instead of firing him I gave him a pink slip. He threatened me and said I better not say anything about the drugs or else he would be back. So i released him thinking I will not have any problems. Now that it has come down to the formal hearing my attorney never shows up. they now have set up a pre-formal hearing to also discuss 31-300 - award of interest and attorney's fees for the undue delay because my attorney did not show up.

I am going to replace him with a new attorney. what would you do?

Legal malpractice & greivance? Now its like starting all over.

thanks monica

Asked on 6/25/08, 12:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Serrano Serrano & Serrano, LLC - Connecticut Accident, Social Security & Divorce Lawyers

Re: attorney missing a formal hearing

If you are unsatisfied with your attorney, I would be happy to discuss your situation with you. I would either take the case or refer you to an attorney who I know would handle the case competently for you. Please call my office 860.236.9350 or my cellphone 860.977.0660 to discuss this. It might be a little soon to consider filing a malpractice claim if the only loss you may suffer is interest and attorneys fees (I would think your attorney would reimburse you if you have to pay this). Did you speak to your attorney afterwards and did he give you a reason for missing the hearing?

Read more
Answered on 6/25/08, 1:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in Connecticut