Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Connecticut

a house was left to me and my sister. parents had a mortgage. we need to put house in our names, are we still responsible to pay mortgage?

Asked on 11/06/15, 7:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Heffernan Heffernan Legal Group, LLP

You and your sister didn't sign the note (I assume), so you aren't legally responsible for paying the mortgage. However, the note is still secured by the mortgage on the house, so if somebody (you) doesn't pay it, the bank will foreclose, no matter whose name the house is in. (Come on! You didn't really think you could just walk away and screw the bank, did you?) You're going to have to probate the estate to get the house in your names. We can help with that.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/15, 8:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Connecticut