Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in District of Columbia

I live in Washington, DC I have never been a resident of GA but I have a collect agency calling me saying that I owe an apartment complex a little over $1000. I only know one person who even lives in the Atlanta area. The agency has my correct name and similar ssn,, one digit was off from my real number. I don't know what to do. I went to the police station to file a report, an officer spoke with someone from the agency and told them that I need proof that someone was using my identity. I still have not received any info. I wanted to know what should I do? Can they put that on my credit? I need to know what steps to take.

Asked on 4/20/11, 9:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Holzman Holzman Law Firm, LLC

Do NOT tell them anything about your identity or confirm or deny that the number is correct. Order a copy of your credit report immediately. You are entitled to one free report per year, just call one of the credit reporting agencies and they'll tell you how to get it. If the person calls back again, advise them that pursuant to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act you are requesting that they verify the debt and send you written documentation of the debt. Also advise them that you do not want to communicate by telephone and that they should communicate with you in writing only.

Get their address and their account number etc for the alleged debt. Send them a letter saying the same things in writing and save a copy for yourself. Send it by certified mail.

Keep copies of all of your communication with them and keep written notes on any calls.

Read more
Answered on 4/20/11, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in District of Columbia