Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in District of Columbia

I loaned a neighbor nine hundred dollars for rent and have not collected the money. I loaned the money in cash over a period of a year and a half. I have no proof. Can i take the neighbor to small claims court.

Asked on 12/30/10, 11:45 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

Yes, although your chances of success are not as good. You will have to get the neighbor to admit (on the stand, under oath), that (i) he received the money from you, and (ii) it was understood between the two of you that the money would be repaid, as it was a loan and not a gift.

Best of luck.******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client privilege.*******

Read more
Answered on 1/04/11, 12:42 pm
Paula McGill Attorney at Law

There is an alternative to doing the impossible (getting your neighbor to admit on the stand). I am not sure what you mean by no proof. Do you have texts or e-mails regarding the loan or the subsequent attempt to collect? Are there witnesses to the loan or conversations about the loan? These would be strong evidence of a loan and may satisfy your burden of proof.

Read more
Answered on 1/06/11, 6:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in District of Columbia