Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in District of Columbia

Yesterday 5/13 I was served to answer for a vehicle and personal loan from 2009. The total of both are about 15k. I am a current student and I work but I only make $9/hr and I honestly can't afford to pay 15k or even settle with a lump sum. The law firm that's representing the creditor contacted me a couple of months ago by email and I responded asking about payment arrangements but I never got a response. I live in Washington DC and any legal advice would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on 5/14/13, 6:01 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Travis Murrell Travis A Murrell, Attorney at Law

Depending on how much you can afford to pay in legal fees you can file bankruptcy and eliminate all of your debt.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/13, 8:00 am
Paula McGill Attorney at Law

I agree with Attorney Murrell, based on the information you provided, one option is bankruptcy. You should contact an attorney or contact the DC Bar Bankruptcy Clinic that provides pro bono services for qualified applicants. You may qualify with your limited income.

Also licensed and practicing in DC

1425 K Street, NW

Suite 350

Washington, DC 20005

Read more
Answered on 5/14/13, 8:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in District of Columbia