Legal Question in Immigration Law in District of Columbia


I am an F-1 student on OPT, which expires at the end of May, 2016. My boyfriend (who is an American citizen) and I are considering getting married. If we get married in the 60 days after my OPT expires, can I stay in the US and apply for adjustment of status or I will have to leave after the 60 days after the OPT expire? How soon can the adjustment of status be filed?

On another note, if my employer starts the procedure for an employment based green card soon [without me getting married], can I switch to another F-1 status by going back to school to fill in the time gap between my OPT expiring and while I can file for a work-permit?

Asked on 1/19/16, 3:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Medina Law Office of Charles Medina

You can stay in the US to apply for adjustment of status as soon as you get married. Employment based green card might take years, depends on which category you will be in. You might not be able to get a work-permit soon. We suggest you to consult with an immigration attorney.

You may visit our website at for our featured cases that cover the most complicated areas of immigration law. Our telephone number is 714-786-6835 and email is [email protected] Thank you.

The above reply is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/16, 9:59 am
Rahul Manchanda, Esq. Manchanda Law Office PLLC

Please call me at (800) 750-1828. Kind regards, RDM

Read more
Answered on 2/12/16, 11:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in District of Columbia