Legal Question in Insurance Law in District of Columbia

I was involved in an auto accident. A driver tried to use a 1 lane road as a 2 lane road and side swiped my car. There were no witnesses to the accident. We both ended up having the same insurance company. The accident occurred in a "no fault" state meaning the police officer could not put anyone at fault. The insurance company said they gave us each our own adjuster but mine was always hard to get in contact with. I was told the accident would be investigated but no one ever came out to the location the accident occurred to take a look at the street or any posted signs. I went to the local police station myself and spoke with an officer who confirmed that the street we had the accident on was a one lane street but that often people tried to use it as a two lane street. We said this still didn't excuse people from using it in this manner. i was told by my adjuster that if I got a local police officer to confirm this then I would need to forward his info to the adjuster. I did forward his info. My adjuster claims that he went on Google Maps to take a look at the street and the picture showed cars using the road as a two lane street. I physically went out to the street and took pictures of the street signs that proved that the road was to be used as 1 driving lane and 1 parking lane and forwarded these pictures to the insurance company. I have also forwarded pictures of the damage to my car. I was told by my adjuster that they would have to contact the state to get confirmation that the road was designed as a one lane road before he could make a decision. I was never notified whether he contacted the state or not. Recently, I was notified that my claim was denied and that each of use would have to cover our own damages. I contacted the insurance company to inquire about a claims appeals process and was told they didn't have one. I find it odd that after all the evidence I collected to back me up, they still denied me. What can i do?

Asked on 9/14/12, 10:28 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

RAYMOND CARIGNAN Raymond Carignan, Esq, LLC

Do you have any injuries?

You may need to file suit against the other driver.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/12, 10:41 am

RAYMOND CARIGNAN Raymond Carignan, Esq, LLC

You may want to consider filing suit.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/12, 7:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in District of Columbia