Legal Question in Employment Law in District of Columbia

My employer terminated me stating that I had stolen money, which I did not. My employer attempted to force me to pay, and I did not. I was terminated without any evidence at all, What recourse do I have?

Asked on 9/14/10, 11:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

In the District of Columbia, an employee may sue an employer for wrongful discharge if the employer terminates the employee for: (1) refusing to engage in illegal conduct, (2) exercising a statutory right, or (3) reporting an employer's or a co-worker's illegal conduct. Specific examples of public policy exceptions to the "at will" employment doctrine include:

* Refusing to drive a truck without a required inspection sticker in violation of a D.C. statute;

* Testifying before the D.C. City Council about patient safety issues;

* Filing or threatening to file a complaint regarding an employer's violation of D.C.'s minimum wage statutes;

* Threatening to inform the Food & Drug Administration about drugs being maintained at an unsafe temperature; and

* Reporting a co-worker's health code violation.

An employee alleging wrongful discharge in violation of public policy must bring a claim within 3 years of the alleged wrongful termination. A prevailing employee may be awarded lost pay, and compensatory and punitive damages.

Best of luck. ******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client privilege.*******

Read more
Answered on 9/19/10, 2:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in District of Columbia