Legal Question in Tax Law in District of Columbia

Turning Someone In To The IRS

I got screwed by a business partner. He owes $100,000+ to the IRS. He owns several houses (6+) using bogus SSNs or houses are put in kids names. He keeps all his money in a business checking account. He bills out at $125/hr and hasn't paid a dime in taxes in over 10 years. (Itemizes bogus expenses on corporate tax form.)

I would like to rat on him to the IRS. Will they spilt any part of what they can recover with me? Can I 'help' the IRS by listing property addresses. Can I get a lawyer to help me and split any proceeds with them? Thanks!

Asked on 8/03/05, 1:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Beatson, II Law Offices of Robert Beatson, II

Re: Turning Someone In To The IRS

(1) A report can be filed with IRS and the DC Office of Tax and Revenue regarding this matter. (2) Other State Tax Departments may be interested and involved depending on where the properties are located. (3) Rewards are paid out for successful prosecutions concerning unreported/misreported income and expenses as well as unfiled income tax returns, etc. (4) You should have an attorney protect your interests in this legal process with IRS and the applicable State or States that are involved. (5) More facts are needed to properly assess the tax/legal options and strategy available to you and to protect your financial interests. An experienced tax attorney should be able to handle this type of matter for you. Please note that, in accordance with the DC Rules of Professional Conduct applicable to DC licensed attorneys, a signed engagement letter is necessary in order to engage my services as an attorney. If I can be of any help to you, contact me as I would be pleased to provide tax/legal support. Sincerely, Robert Beatson II, 8-3-2005, 7:15 p.m. EDT Law Offices of Robert Beatson, II 9818 Glynshire Way, Potomac, MD 20854 Tel/Fax 301-340-2951 email: [email protected] website: Practice areas: Tax, business law, computer/high tech/biotech law, intellectual property, trusts/estates/wills, real estate, civil litigation. Licensed to practice law in: DC, MD, VA, and NY.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/05, 7:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in District of Columbia