Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in District of Columbia

Do I need a lawyer to contest a will. My uncle died 11/10/2011 .I'm his only niece he left a large estate .I'm name in the will but he promise me more than the will says. I talked to his lawyer and he said the will had not been changed, I received a copy of the will and it had a codicil in it and it has been changed Everyone in the will is not related at all,it even named a foster child who is 57 years old.he get 300,000 dollars and I get 3,000 can I fight this.Its was changed on 11/7/2011 and he died 3 days later.he was 96 years old.The personal representative is a friend not family members he left the house and everything to his foster( man) child and friends not family

Asked on 12/20/11, 12:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

It will be difficult to fight. However, because of he age, the proximity of the change to his death, and other matters, it might be worth your while to challenge the will. Find an attorney who has several years of experience in challenging wills. It will be difficult and you don't want a novice handling the matter.

Also licensed and practicing in DC

1425 K Street, NW

Suite 350

Washington, DC 20005

Read more
Answered on 12/20/11, 11:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in District of Columbia