Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Florida

Ch. 7 Bankruptcy - My creditor's meeting is in 5 days, and I just figured out that one of my creditor's (a utility company) closed my previous account, refunding my deposit, and issued me a new account number, which requires a new deposit. I believe they did this to avoid having to discharge my balance under the old account number. Should I file an amendment to add this new account to my creditor matrix or might this be ineffective? (I filed pro se.)

Asked on 6/13/13, 5:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

R. Jason de Groot R. Jason de Groot, P.A.

You chose not to have an attorney. The creditor cannot just change the account number and seek to do what you say they appear to be doing. The debt will be discharged, no matter what account number is on it. You do not need to file an amendment. The creditors meeting will last about 3 minutes and you already know all of the answers.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 6:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Florida