Legal Question in Consumer Law in Florida

My wife visited her hairstylist in July to obtain a hairstyle called sisterlocks. This is a very specific type of hairstyle with set guidelines that must be followed, only certain hairstylists are allowed to install this hair system and they must be certified by a home office to be a technician. My wife referred another friend to her (my wife's) technician, her friend, after getting her hair done went to New York for a trip. while there, she went to have her sisterlocks tightened, the technician in New York told her what she had is NOT sisterlocks and was a cheaper hair style called interlocks. My wife sought a second opinion and was told her hair also was NOT sisterlocks. No other certified technician will touch my wife's hair because they don't know what it is or how to fix it. So far the only solution would be take it all out and have it re-done correctly. To remove this hairstyle it typically takes 12-15 hours and would force my wife to cut 1-3 inches of her hair, she would also have to pay to have it removed. The original session that was done improperly, cost $450.00. The session to fix it would cost anywhere from $450.00-600.00 depending on how long it takes to remove the incorrect hair. We have attempted to contact the original stylist and she will not return phone calls or e-mails. We have also contacted the home office responsible for training and certification of the stylists and as of today, have had no response. My wife has contacted several clients of her original stylist and there is now a total of four individuals who have checked and have been informed they have not received the style they paid for. At this point I see no other recourse besides a small claims case, just wondering if, A: do I have a legitimate case?, B: is there a way to include all the victims in one case?, c: can we sue for cost to fix and original cost or just original cost? I thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

Asked on 12/07/09, 11:14 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

You can sue for the cost of the undo and the refund of the original payment. You could join all plaintiffs together, but you'd need a lawyer for that, and it might mean less money for you in the long run, since all plaintiffs would be "cutting into a pie" that might not be large.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/09, 9:44 am
Alan Wagner Wagner McLaughlin, P.A.

a. yes

b. no

c. yes

Read more
Answered on 12/12/09, 5:08 pm
Lesly Longa Longa Law P.A.

Small claims for an individual action against the hairstylist. Check your local Clerk of Court's website for more information about costs and forms. Regards,

Read more
Answered on 12/13/09, 10:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Florida