Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Florida

i contacted a debt collector, asking them to validate their clam -

They thought they sent me the documents on a debt that they claimed was mine, but they actually sent me the documents for another person who lives in another state - the documents show the complete details of the person - including name, address, social security and phone numbers etc.

Should I contact the person or the debt collector ? Should I talk to a lawyer ?

Asked on 7/08/15, 9:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys


Unfortunately, you have NO claim arising out of the disclosure of another's personal information. However, you could forward the correspondence to the debtor, advising that their information was provided to you in error. Further, copy the collection agency with the letter to the debtor and advise them of their error.

I doubt the debtor will act.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/15, 12:58 pm

Return it to the collection agency and let them deal with it.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/15, 4:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Florida