Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

Constitutional Rights Re: Jail, Legal Counsel and Bond.

My son turned himself in himself in on a vop. He has No bond. He asked me to hire an atty (he learned of in jail) for a bond hearing. She called me at home asking me to retain her. She called everyday for a week. She assured me that she would file right away & the purpose of bond is to assure the persons appearance at court. My son has never had a FTA. She also told me that she would, file to dismiss all charges due to the arrest was executed without a warrant & out of the arresting officers jurisdiction. We pd her & that was the end of contact with her. My sons been in jail more than 5 mos & still no bond hearing. She has never been to the jail or spoke with him. I've given up on my calls being returned. She had 3 hearings continued. Per the JA, I should file a motion to terminate her and request a hearing.(on my sons behalf)I don't know if I should file a motion to dismiss based on a persons right to counsel, right to a speedy trial, something? He can't get a PD until his atty is terminated & I don't know what other options he has. The JA let me know that this is common behavior with this atty & not to expect any change. She said he can get a PD but not until the atty is fired. Any suggestions appreciated.

Asked on 6/20/06, 11:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Valerie Masters Valerie Masters, P.A.

Re: Constitutional Rights Re: Jail, Legal Counsel and Bond.

I would write a letter to the judge and ask for hearing to terminate. Send the lawyer a copy witht the hearing date and call the Fl bar assoc.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/06, 12:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida