Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

What can my daughter do to get her vehicle back from a month of being impounded by local sherrifs dept. They have asked for $5,000.00 to get vehicle out they have taken one month to notify us of the price and a paralegal has done the comunicting for the sherifs office. She told us we needed to counter offer a sum of money we could afford to pay we really can not afford the large amount of 5000,00 they want to drop the impoundment. They say it is because the vehicle was involved In a buglery. My daughters charges were dropped but the guy is still in jail. The police have writen a report and paralegal said it states that the two are boyfriend girlfriend but she said the police assumed this my daughter did not even know his last name and we told them that. This did not seem to matter. She was arrested then charges dropped for burglary after offering a person she really did not know only through an aquantance a ride home ...he told her to stop car then got out she thought he was going to someones house after he disapeared she ran out of gas and was just waiting to figure out what to do when the guy reappeared. He had broken into a vehicle then tried to help push her car thats when the police happened upon them and the guy took off running and was captured hiding in a school grounds. He has been charged and my daughter was not. My problem is why is she being penalized for such a large amount of money to get her vehicle back her personal items are still in the car herpurse licence student id. She is a college student and needs her vehicle to get to classes we can not continue to drive her and this has resulted in her missing classes. She can't work without transportation it has been over a month and now the sherrifs paralegal says she has until November 11 2013 to counter offer again more money we already offered 10 percent which is too much I just cant afford it. My husband has been out of work 3 years and I recently list my job. Why is the price so high and can anything be done daughter is innocent and charges were dropped. They want more money closer to the 5000,00 is what she told me this seems like a way for the police to make money . Van they sieze the vehicle grom my daughter if we vant pay to auctiom it off? I am very worried she will loose the car. Can someone help us understand. I have tried to get a police report to see exactly what officer wrote. As of yet I have not been able to get a report have been at the mercy of person contacting us about this issue.


Asked on 11/02/13, 7:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.

You could sue the sheriff, or person detaining the vehicle, if you feel it has been improperly held. Your question however is not really a criminal law one, so I suggest you try calling a civil attorney in your area to see what can be done.

Read more
Answered on 11/05/13, 1:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida