Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

I have a friend who recently turned 18 and recently got introuble with the law. He was charged with obstruction of an officer (he ran on foot from the officer), and criminal mischief over $1000. a misdemeanor and a felony. He got caught doing graffiti on a building. I am in the army reserves, my question is could I appear with my friend to court in uniform, and plead with the judge to excuse the charges, in result my friend will join the army reserves under my supervision. also tell the judge if he doesnt keep his word to give him the maximun punishment.? I would also let the judge know that my friend is sorrounded by bad influinces and is a victim of his enviroment. By dropping the charges he could join the army, get away from these bad characters, and change his life. Does the judge have the power to drop the charges, and what is the likely hold that he would do so?

Asked on 11/16/10, 6:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nicholas Dorsten Blake & Dorsten, P.A.

The judge cannot drop the charges, only the state attorney can do that. If you are not an attorney, you will not be able to stand with your friend and attempt to plea him out/get charges dropped. Have your friend hire a criminal defense lawyer who will be able to negotiate with the state attorney and attempt to get the charges dropped.

Good luck,

Read more
Answered on 11/22/10, 8:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida