Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

My grandson has just recently turned 18 years old and is a high school student, and he was found with child pornography on his cellphone however, the crimes were reported when he was a minor. The police came and took all of his electronic devices from the house. However, no charges have been filed against him yet, do i need to get a lawyer now or wait until charges are filed against him?

Asked on 3/22/21, 9:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Trabin The Trabin Law Firm

He should have a lawyer. It is possible he could still be charged as a juvenile even though he has reached the age of 18. It's also possible the State could charge him as an adult. In any event, even if it is charged in juvenile court he could be convicted as a sexual offender which would follow him his entire life. He should absolutely not speak with law enforcement and having a lawyer in advance will be a good safeguard.

Read more
Answered on 3/22/21, 10:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida