Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

Hello, I'm hopping you can provide me with some help. I opened a credit card on my cousins name because of my gambling problem which I got help for it and thank god I'm good on that side. I didn't tell my cousin that I did it and he filed a police report and called the card issuer. Now my cousin knows and he wants to help so I don't get taken in for it and I have agreed to pay the card charges (over 5k). My question is can my cousin call the cards issuer or the police to drop the case? Will that work or there's other steps to be taken? We know that the police is pursuing it as they meet with my cousin and showed him pictures of me and asking if he knew me. My cousin and I have talked and I agreed to pay the charges but now we don't know if the case or charges can be withdrawn. Thank you

Asked on 11/06/13, 5:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.

Your cousin can call the police so that they can inform the state attorney not to pursue charges. However, it is solely up to the prosecutor on whether or not to pursue charges. You should not call anyone other than an attorney to help you.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/13, 7:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida