Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

My husband and I were arrested 8 days. We are charged with 1 felony and 2 misdemeanors. The police report is very inaccurate, some of it is complete lies. Somehow the news channels have gotten this information and we have been made to look like horrible people, when im sure we will be found not guilty on all charges. My question is, since we have not retained a lawyer yet, I don't know if its a good idea to even speak to the media. I was honest with the police, having never been in trouble before, and they twisted or completely misquoted the things I said. I am now afraid to open my mouth, but its killing me to hear all the lies and having people look at me disgusted. Should I speak to the media with no attorney or just let it go until we can afford to retain one?

Asked on 12/05/13, 5:16 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Don Waggoner Don Waggoner Law, P.A.

You need to retain an attorney immediately. Both of you. let the attorney do the talking for you. You made a huge mistake talking to the cops. That cannot be withdrawn. Do not talk to the press. The publicity will die down shortly and there is nothing you can do to stop what is being said or to change it. No one wants to hear your side of the story in public. Your time to tell that is through a jury. Do not poison the well more by speaking to the press, your neighbors, your family, your husband, your priest, your psychiatrist, your boss, your BFF, to Facebook, or anyone or anywhere else. The only person who can help you and protect you is an attorney. He or she is the only person with whom you have an absolute privilege in communications. So please, hire one today. Choose the person carefully and make sure you can be happy with him or her. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/05/13, 5:50 am
Eric Trabin Lucid Legal, PLLC

DO NOT SPEAK TO THE MEDIA. This is a terrible idea. As a criminal defendant, anything you say can and will be used against you. You already know that the things you said have been twisted around. Do you really think a prosecutor won't try to twist the words you use to a reporter?

You have a right to remain silent. Use it. Hire an attorney and let him/her handle your legal case. You should speak with several attorneys to get an idea of prices and to find someone that you trust. If you can't afford an attorney then ask for the public defender.

Read more
Answered on 12/05/13, 8:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida